More Than Three Decades of Experience as a Criminal Defense, Immigration, Business, Civil Trial and Appellate Attorney
Attorney Francis Jerome “Jerry” Shea established his law practice in Jacksonville, Florida more than 30 years ago. Attorney Shea represents individuals and businesses throughout Florida and internationally on matters involving criminal defense, immigration, business law, civil litigation and appeals.
Drawing on his substantial knowledge and years of experience as a trial and appellate lawyer, attorney Shea has the ability to identify the appropriate legal action required to achieve his clients’ immediate objectives.
Attorney Shea has earned a reputation in the legal community for his thorough preparation and firm commitment to his clients’ best interests. He is a polished litigator who regularly appears before the state, federal and immigration courts and administrative agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Because of his extensive experience and training as lead counsel in capital cases, attorney Shea is regularly appointed by the courts to manage a legal team of forensic and mitigation experts to develop comprehensive trial strategies and defense theories for his client defendants charged with capital crimes and facing the death penalty.
Prior to dedicating his career to the law, attorney Shea worked as an accountant and auditor with a national certified public accounting (CPA) firm, as a finance analyst with a major automobile manufacturer, as president of an employee benefits company and as chief financial officer for an international electrical and communications company. His previous positions as a company president, CFO and financial analyst equipped him with extraordinary insight to advise his business and financial investor clients.
As a former U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructor and a former firefighter, attorney Shea acquired a personal discipline and code of honor and dedication to the principles of justice that he applies to every case.
- Pennsylvania Bar, 1978
- Florida Bar, 1980
- Juris Doctorate, University of Delaware, 1977
- Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Miami, Finance and Accounting, 1964
- Florida Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh District
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Immigration Court
- U.S. Board of Immigration Appeals
- Convening Authority for Military Court Martial
- Florida Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Duval County Lawyers Association
- Florida Trial Lawyers Association
- Florida Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyer of America
- National Association of Security Dealers
- American Arbitration Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity
- Francis Jerome Shea, PA, Attorney at Law, Jacksonville, Florida. Civil plaintiff and defendant practice; criminal defense trial practice with emphasis on constitutional law; lead counsel in capital cases; negotiated insurance company settlements on personal injury and property damages; participating attorney in major class action landfill litigation resulting in multimillion dollar settlement and wrongful death claims; arbitrator for American Arbitration Association on federal government reorganization of federal savings and loan association; immigration court trial attorney, family visas, business visas, foreign investors and asylum applications.
Accounting and finance experience
- American Heritage Life Insurance Company, Jacksonville, Florida. Director of corporate and governmental tax deferred savings plans for state, city and municipal government employees and other 501(c) organizations.
- First National Retirement Corporation of America, Wilmington, Delaware. President and general counsel. Designed and implemented deferred compensation savings and investment plans for corporations and tax exempt organizations. Testified before U. S. Senate Finance Committee on Capitol Hill on national pension reform.
- Rollins International, Inc, subsidiary Gustav Hirsch Organization, Columbus, Ohio. Chief financial officer for electrical contractor to build the Alaskan oil pipeline. Prepared financial analysis of international operations with Stromberg Carlson to engineer and implement secured systems of communications for the U.S. government in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam police action.
- Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan. Financial analyst for Ford Motor Division, Dealer Development. Responsible for preparing financial analysis of Ford Motor Company investments in excess of 200 dealerships, facilities and operations in North America. Created and implemented dealership investment and buyout plans to establish new dealership stores. Supervised headquarters team of financial analysts to audit, compile and report financial operations to Ford Motor Finance Committee.
- Ring, Mahoney and Arner, Certified Public Accountants, Miami, Florida. Audited land development companies, commercial banks, food distribution warehouses and companies, automobile dealerships and interior design centers. Prepared certified financial statements. Prepared federal income tax and estate tax returns. Advised clients on accounting matters to improve business relations with customers and to maximize return on capital investments.
Public service and military experience
- City of Miami Fire Department, Miami, Florida. Firefighter and Rescue Squad. Fought major chemical conflagration with destructive thermal wind forces. Participated in high-rise fire and rescue operations and airplane victim disaster recovery. Public relations spokesman for fire service. Wrote and produced documentary film on Miami Fire Department.
- Honorably served in the U.S. Marine Corps., Sergeant. Eighth Marine Regiment, Second Marine Division, communications expert. Military Police Security Force Southern Command. Marine Corps Drill Instructor. Florida National Guard, legal section, secret security clearance.
- Miss America Pageant. Judge.
Learn more about how our experienced Jacksonville lawyer can help you
Call 904.399.1966 or contact me online to schedule an appointment.Contact Attorney Shea